The Business Leaders Network – where technology and business meet
The BLN produces high quality networking events – from small CEO dinners through to summits for 500 or so people – the movers and shakers in the technology sector. We bring together disruptive entrepreneurs and senior executives, active investors and big-budget buyers to meet, talk and do business in a fun and informative environment.
By being the place where technology and business meet, BLN also produces widely read content about management, emerging trends and running a sustainable profitable business whilst staying sane. We love startups but most of the businesses that come to our events are well on the way to growing up. We think the leaders of businesses that have scaled beyond their startup phase need a thoughtful place to share ideas and meet companies that they can do business with. That’s The BLN.
We want to do more and we know we need some brilliant people to help us achieve our goal of being the place where ambitious, disruptive, technology entrepreneurs meet great people who can help them achieve their aims. We hope you might be able to help us…
- We are looking for ambitious, experienced, competent, motivated individuals to join a small, busy team to help us build an awesome events business. We need to involve some great people with the skills and experience to help us to take our business to another level. We’re happy to work with people who may not be in a position to work full time at the moment because our aim is to work with great people who can play a major part in helping us grow in the medium term.
- You will get the chance to rub shoulders with inspiring people – entrepreneurs, investors and industry people who can see how technology is changing the world and want to play a part in making that happen. You will have responsibility from the outset, be expected to build your own contacts and will be challenged every day you come into work.
- We already have a great reputation for producing valuable events for some of the best people in the sectors that we work in. We are looking for people who can help us consolidate and grow our reputation and the reach of our events both in theUKand overseas.
- We hope you’ll be interested in getting involved and have the right skills, experience and attitude to help us get there.
Job Title: Marketing Manager (part-time)
Main Purpose of the Job: Events may take place at a point in time, but they need momentum months in advance to deliver the best gathering of people in the industry (we don’t settle for anything less). We also want to build a more active community pre- and post-event. Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to manage our event marketing campaigns. This involves some very loud, but often subtle, shouting, so no wilting flowers here.
- Location: The role will be based in our Cambridge office initially to allow you to get up to speed, moving to a mixture of working from home and working from the office (at least one day per week)
- Payscale: Competitive
- Hours: This role will be 20 – 25 hours per week with some flexibility in the days worked
- Reports to: Mark Littlewood, Director
- Direct reports (if any) None currently
Key responsibilities and deliverables
- Ensure that our target audience are attending events by managing pre and post event promotion and awareness of the BLN event programme
- Find the right people for our events and engage with them by developing and executing a plan to build and manage the best opt-in database
- Maintain and grow the database to allow you to create and issue email campaigns and establish an industry e-newsletter
- Use your copywriting skills to create effective campaigns to grow the database and increase event bookings
- Encourage engagement across the BLN by writing quality content for the company’s blog and promoting it in relevant places
- Build relationships with third party organisations such as sponsors, media partners etc., to promote and support event marketing activity and promote awareness of the events
- Refine current social media activities to develop an appropriate, relevant and consistent social media strategy for the BLN
- Engage with the widest possible audience by using video content and delivering maximum impact to our marketing campaigns
- Take responsibility for organising event marketing literature and event give-aways, working in partnership with event sponsors
- Stand up and be counted – take responsibility for putting forward your own ideas and suggestions to improve upon and develop current ways of working
- This role will involve some travel within the UK (predominantly London) and could involve some overseas travel
Working relationships: Mark Littlewood, Marcin Zaba, the Events Coordinator, media partners, sponsors, event participants, external web developer and video producer
The principle challenge of this role will be to work in a small office in an entrepreneurial environment and to focus on delivering useful valuable and meaningful events to our target audience. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working within an entrepreneurial environment and have the skills, experience and desire to play a major role in building the organisation over time.
This is very much a hands on role which will develop over time for the post holder to have strategic input into the business. Once established in the role, you may have the opportunity to build and lead a delivery team of people
Education and Qualifications: Degree level education (Desirable).
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Background in technology or finance (Desirable)
- IT literacy, literacy, numeracy. Excel, Word, PowerPoint, WordPress, CRM
- Developing and executing demand generation programs including email and online campaign activity
- Experience in writing and executing successful marketing campaigns
- Copywriting for an audience of senior decision makers
- Experience in delivering successful marketing activity on minimal budgets
- Experience of InDesign would be a big bonus
- At least one superpower
Personality, character traits and disposition
- Enthusiasm for business use of social networks (LinkedIn, Twitter) and an interest in business and technology news
- Proactive self-starter, taking initiative to get things done without supervision
- Hands-on, willingness to get involved in multiple tasks as required
- Creative, highly organised, attention to detail, team player
- Strong ownership of responsibilities
- Proof of the right to work in the UK.
- UK Driving licence. (Desirable)
If you’re excited by this role and want to apply, send a covering letter specifying which superpower you possess and how you’d use it in the role, along with a link to your LinkedIn profile or your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you know someone that might fit and covet the role, please let them know.
No agencies please.