The Business Leaders Network – where technology and business meet
The BLN produces high quality networking events – from small CEO dinners through to summits for 500 or so people – the movers and shakers in the technology sector. We bring together disruptive entrepreneurs and senior executives, active investors and big-budget buyers to meet, talk and do business in a fun and informative environment.
By being the place where technology and business meet, BLN also produces widely read content about management, emerging trends and running a sustainable profitable business whilst staying sane. We love startups but most of the businesses that come to our events are well on the way to growing up. We think the leaders of businesses that have scaled beyond their startup phase need a thoughtful place to share ideas and meet companies that they can do business with. That’s The BLN.
Our customers love us and we love what we do. Here are just some of the events we run in Cambridge, Londonand Boston, MA: Making it Mobile, Business of Software, Growth Forum, CEO Tales. We want to do more and we know we need some brilliant people to help us achieve our goal of being the place where ambitious, disruptive, technology entrepreneurs meet great people who can help them achieve their aims. We hope you might be able to help us…
- We are looking for ambitious, experienced, competent, motivated individuals to join a small, busy team to help us build an awesome events business. We need to involve some great people with the skills and experience to help us to take our business to another level. We’re happy to work with people who may not be in a position to work full time at the moment because our aim is to work with great people who can play a major part in helping us grow in the medium term.
- You will get the chance to rub shoulders with inspiring people – entrepreneurs, investors and industry people who can see how technology is changing the world and want to play a part in making that happen. You will have responsibility from the outset, be expected to build your own contacts and will be challenged every day you come into work.
- We already have a great reputation for producing valuable events for some of the best people in the sectors that we work in. We are looking for people who can help us consolidate and grow our reputation and the reach of our events both in theUKand overseas.
- We hope you’ll be interested in getting involved and have the right skills, experience and attitude to help us get there.
Job Title: Events Co-ordinator (part time)
Main Purpose of the Job: To ensure the smooth running of all the BLN events, co-ordinating and managing all aspects of the events from start to finish.
Location: The role will be based in our Cambridge office initially to allow you to get up to speed, moving to a mixture of working from home and working from the office (at least one day per week)
Hours: This role will be 20 – 25 hours per week with some flexibility in the days worked
Reports to: Mark Littlewood, the Director
Direct reports (if any): None at present
Key responsibilities and deliverables
- Responsible for start to finish management of a wide variety of events – dinners, summits, conferences etc.
- Make sure customers – sponsors, delegates, speakers – love working with us because our events are run smoothly, professionally and attract great people
- Ensure that all events run smoothly and according to plan by liaising with venues, making catering and AV arrangements, etc.
- Maintain our excellent reputation for quality events by looking after event participants and speakers and ensuring they are kept informed of everything they need to know about the event
- Ensure that all aspects of registering event participants run smoothly, including the management and maintenance of the CRM system and the production of attendee lists and participant profiles
- Take responsibility for pre-event management ensuring that client briefs, budgets, and deadlines are met
- Carry out post-event follow-ups, working closely with Marketing to deliver excellent customer experience and gather feedback to assist in future event planning
- Take financial control of projects, including cost control throughout the project ensuring best negotiated rates and delivery of each campaign within budget
- Stand up and be counted – take responsibility for putting forward your own ideas and suggestions to improve upon and develop current ways of working
- Where appropriate, the Events Co-ordinator may be asked to attend client and supplier meetings and briefings.
- This role will involve some travel within theUK(predominantlyLondon) and could involve some overseas travel
Mark Littlewood, Marcin Zaba, the Marketing Manager, sponsors, event participants
The main challenge of this role will be keeping on top of the details of multiple projects while being organised and efficient. This is a relatively new role so the successful candidate will be challenged by being able to take the role and make it their own.
The BLN is a small company. Career progression is available to people who play a part in growing the business together with developing their own skills and experience.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Relevant experience within a marketing/event role
- Experience running and maintaining CRM systems
- IT literacy, literacy, numeracy. Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Experience in organising a high volume of live events
- Excellent organiser – must have experience in management multiple events at any one time
- Strong project manager
- Background in technology (Desirable).
- Experience managing a team of people onsite (event volunteers) with ability and authority to troubleshoot while keeping a smile on your face.
- At least one superpower
Personality, character traits and disposition
- Strong ownership of responsibility.
- Good listening and questioning skills.
- Proactive self-starter, taking initiative to get things done without supervision.
- Hands-on, willingness to get involved in multiple tasks as required
- Creative, highly organised, attention to detail, team player.
- Proof of the right to work in the UK
- UK Driving licence. (Desirable)
If you’re excited by this role and want to apply, send a covering letter specifying which superpower you possess and how you’d use it in the role, along with a link to your LinkedIn profile or your CV to email@example.com
If you know someone that might fit and covet the role, please let them know.
No agencies please.