“80% truth, 20% bullshit but I don’t know which is which.” Rick Bullota
A fantastic talk by Rick Bullota at Thingworx on some of the lessons he has learned in building and selling Lighthammer and Thingworx.
- Oh the places you will go – the best Manual for Entrepreneurship – ever.
- People are key – first five hires likely to define success of business.
- Money is expensive
- Real channels and partners are important
- Know when/how to make your exit – M&A exits are the primary option for startups.
- What happens after exit?
- IoT has some time in the sun. Use it wisely.
Rick Bullota’s hot areas in IoT
- Security lots of activity, but ton of work and innovation left to do
Analytics – deep/domain analytics, analytics at the edge, real-time analytics
Wireless – interesting opportunities to drive down Cost of wireless comms
Data Access and Privacy – highly granular data Storage and access
Data Commerce – monetizing data ingress, Consumption, and insights
Applications – vertical applications/solutions to exploit the loT
“You have brains in your head.You have feet in your shoes.You can steer yourself any direction you choose.You’re on your own.And you know what you know.And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go…”“You’re off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting,
So… get on your way!”
The BLN is now Business of Software
Business of Software runs conferences for people that build great software businesses and products. To access talks online, hear about new events, contact speakers and stay in touch with great ideas, share your email address with us.