A quick romp through some of the categories and companies that the Godfather of technology blogging sees as being particularly hot, disruptive, interesting, useful and trend setting today.
- Angry Birds
Photos & Photo sharing
- Shopkick – rewarding people for walking into a store
Funding – New ways of funding companies.
- Kickstarter does crowd sourced funding
- Square – iPhone attachment – could be the next PayPal
Rewards & Engagement
- OneTrueFan – rewards for showing love to web sites.
- Badgeville – Foursquare type system to reward people
- Adstruc – auction site for outdoor advertising
- InDinero – real time financial dashboard for businesses
New Media Experiences
- Flipboard – personalised social mazagines
- PostPost – online newspaper based on your Facebook links
- The History of Jazz – 3 people reinventing the book. iPad App
- Datasift – Letting you screen streams of information * This is a UK based company run by Nick Halstead.
- Hipmunk – Flight search engine listing flights in order of personal agony!
- Lanyrd – tracks event sites around the world and adds speakers to it automatically
- Uber – cashless cab via twitter.
- Storify $ 2 million funding today
- PearlTrees (Flash based currently so no Apple users but this is changing). * This is a Parisien company.
Last one – Prezi kicks Powerpoint’s butt.
Key takeaway from Q&A, Silicon Valley as a name is a nonsense – it doesn’t do silicon (Intel’s fabs are not there anymore for example, and the valley does not contain all of the most interesting companies by a long chalk.
“Silicon Valley is a state of mind, not a place.”
The Prezi presentation is here: https://liftconference.com/lift11/program/talk/robert-scoble-trends-and-projects-silicon-valley